Tuesday 15 June 2010

#3


Tuesday June 15, 2010

What to say. I feel like my last post lost some of that journalistic flare that I have never learned. Much to my chagrin, it was more of a blog than a story. However, I have approached this article with a renewed sense of vigor and steadfast dedication to provide ALL OF YOU with the scoop of Hong Kong knowledge that, in my heart, I had promised.

What do The Gate of Wisdom, Nobel Prizes, and exile have to with each other. The CUHK Library! Several days ago we ventured into the stacks. Their library is probably of equal size to our own back in Sacramento State, but cries what all libraries should. Inside we were shown two rooms dedicated to the Nobel Prize for Dr. Charles Kao and a banned Chinese Poet. First, Kao was the scientist who invented the fiber-optic cable, and essentially made the free flow of information on the internet possible. The internet, which I think is the greatest human invention, has been instrumental in toppling tyranny and spreading knowledge worldwide. Yes, we may overindulge in stupid content on it, but to most of the world it is the only way to stay connected and learn of what’s going on. Another was for a poet who was banned in China for poems that clearly denounced the Chinese government. He leaves his brushes, pens, glasses, and works in the library for safe keeping (they are all alarmed).

Several days later we took a trip to GeoPark, a park of geological formations, rocks, and a giant dam. Dam jokes withstanding, it was a great trip. On this trip I met Ellen and Christy Mak; a mother and her 13 year old daughter who plays the violin, piano and electric guitar. I need not say which instrument we bonded over more, but the conversations were pleasant and a good idea of what life is like for a conservative Chinese girl growing up in Hong Kong. I DO have to say that Ellen is a prime example of how a parent should act. Her outgoing nature and appreciation for worldwide things was only shadowed by the readily apparent love for her daughter. We talked about living life and as a young person she said “you have to be silly sometimes”, but “not all the time” I added. We laughed and talked about ‘living life’. She went to the University of Southern Carolina and has already immersed herself in American culture. [Could her blend of two different societies be a part to her maternal paradigm?] She believed that her daughter needs to experience life not only in Hong Kong, but with people from other countries as well. She also spoke the phrase “[You cannot live a perfect life in this world]” or “[this world is made to live a perfect life]” or something to that effect. My soul skipped a beat when hearing this obviously simple, but life giving phrase. This world is not meant for perfection. This still echoes in my mind on so many levels. Greg mentioned to us that he “does not drink because he loves his body too much” but I must say that “I drink because I love life too much”. There are too many things on this planet to experience without us sheltering ourselves. Like Ellen said “we have to be silly a little while” and live life outside the box. I try to live my life as an auteur, knowing that my actions, mistakes, and triumphs are my own little works of art that cannot be changed (Justine knows EXACTLY what I am talking about). That is why while I am here I will eat and try anything. I may not be used to it, I may not even like it, but what will my life look like when I die? A cheap Kinkade’esque representation of what I think life should be or that teeth grinding annoyance that truly is the human experience… there really is no choice.

Enough of my attempt to transcend the fact that I am a 22 year old living for 21 days in the worlds 36th largest city. Hong Kong is amazing. Our journey to Victoria Peak was a journey to another world. Above the cloud cover and fog, the humidity must have reached 90-100%, but the temperature dropped a good 3-4 degrees Celsius along with our visibility. One day earlier, we took a trip to Sai Kung, a fishing town, and had the pleasant experience of trying the authentic version of many of our Chinese favorites. Chow mein (noodles), Mongolian beef, fried rice, lemon chicken, prawns, clams, and steamed vegetables with butter were all piled onto our lazy Susan in a tiny restaurant. The food was plentiful as was the conversation and both were passed about with generosity. Ecstasy! I can say no more about the food. However, we also learned how to use chopsticks effectively. Ellen had even told us that we use them better than some Chinese, even though we fall short of their meticulous grasp and form. I have been practicing them for all my meals that I make myself. At the restaurant, I even succeeded in the challenge that was given to me… picking up a coin laying flat on the table with the chopsticks. After two failed attempts, I got it! It was a surprisingly joyous accomplishment.

The days were superior to my usual ones back in Sacramento, but as all good things must come to an end so must this edition of “Aaron’s Blog: but not really a blog, more of a continuing article of lengthiness”. To all of you reading, “remember, no matter where you go, there you are.”-Confucius

1 comment:

  1. “Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.”

    How much of a nerd am I that I recognized that from Buckaroo Banzai, but didn't know it originally came from Confucius?

    Anyway, Aaron, great work so far. Keep it coming!

    Your bro,
    Adam

    ReplyDelete